Wednesday, April 20, 2016

April 20 - Max's Patch

Okay - so this quote was chosen by Catania. I like it. I sent it to PJ. Not sure if he likes it, but I put it on here for fun...
This was from Monday - On top of Mt. Klingsman

From PJ:

I'm gonna try to keep this brief because I'm still having issues with my phone. Patriot and I set up camp just past Max's Patch. Another big day.

Today started out as the toughest day so far. Legs feel fine but we had a 5 mile climb to start and I was drained. I could feel the lack of calories and was doing my best to eat and drink as much as I could but it is much harder than you think. 

I'm low on food (which is a good thing because I'm resupplying on Friday), but my water filter is busted and water sources were few and far between. By about three o'clock I was drained. I was moving very slow on the inclines and had to break every few minutes or so. The fact that we're going into town on Friday was really the only thing keeping me going.

Got into Brown Gap just in time to see this couple give an old guy their last Gatorade which really sunk my spirits even more. Not that I was miserable or anything, just exhausted. I spent most of my time fantasizing about different foods and beverages. 

Then about a mile before our final destination, there was trail magic. It was like an oasis. I couldn't believe it! On a Wednesday Afternoon in a relatively isolated location. These guys hiked last year, so they knew what the hikers liked and they had EVERYTHING! I pigged out.

I actually ate two hot dogs (one of which I combined with string cheese I had melted over the fire) which is pretty crazy considering my last hot dog was over a decade ago. So yeah, it basically turned the whole day around.

We hung out with them for a couple of hours and then headed up to Max's Patch to camp. Unfortunately my phone was off, so I didn't get any pictures, but it was some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen so far. But I was talking to "Patriot" and we both agreed it is good to have some of these moments to yourself.

Anyway - Just cavemanned it and now in my tent. Quite the day. Gonna put another big day in tomorrow. 18 miles or so, but the elevation doesn't look bad which makes a world of difference.

Also there were 4 doggies at the trail magic - which made it even better.


Evening


No comments:

Post a Comment