Wednesday, April 13, 2016

April 12 - Franklin, Siler Bald, and Cold Spring Shelter

From PJ

"I've been trying to send out an email with a video, but it hasn't been working. Anyway, headed out of Franklin, NC now. Rainy day all day. Today my pack is very heavy now that I got Mom's package. Trying to send out more stuff. 

My phone had died - I haven't had a lot of sun for my solar charger.

Also, I met Ron Haven, who is kind of a legend on the trail. He owns a few motels - which is where I stayed last night. He gave us a ride to and from town and also drove me to my mail drop and Walmart for free. Also has a lot of funny stories."

Random Picture of Ron Haven I found online...reminds me of Ron Swanson - which is about the biggest compliment a man can get.
Lunchtime - PJ is just trying to pack in the calories these days - with all his hiking he needs as much as he can get!


Siler Bald - Very Foggy

More from PJ:

It's April 12th, Michaela's birthday. Happy birthday Michaela. It's about noon-ish. 11:30. I just hiked up to this bald. Siler Bald It's really foggy out. I've been going back and forth sweating and being cold all day. I'm out of breath because I just hiked up this mountain. 

I stayed in Franklin, North Carolina last night. Ron Haven's Budget Inn. It was alright. I just stayed inside. I ate a lot of food. My pack weighs about 60 pounds right now, probably, I have so much stuff in it. But  hopefully I'll get rid of most of that tonight. I have some sodas and Gatorade and other stuff that's really heavy.

I've been doing about 5 miles so far, and I've got about 10 more to go before tonight. I'm probably going to try to stay in a shelter again because it's so wet out. Makes it a lot easier in the morning - don't have to pack up your tent.


Bartram Trail - Paved


A Bit More from PJ

This is the Bartram Trail. This is the first part of the trail that's been paved like this. I don't even want to walk on it because it hurts my feet. But it has cleared up a lot. Nice and sunny. We're over a mile high right now, so I should get some pictures of this vista.

View from Cold Spring Shelter
"This is the view from Cold Spring Shelter where I'm staying tonight. Weather cleared up. It is beautiful out. I'm eating so much food tonight just to cut weight in my pack."

***

As you can tell, PJ made a video that he wanted to upload to the blog. I think that we've come up with a work-around, so hopefully we'll be able to see it at some point. Of course, Wifi is always spotty, so much of the technological stuff depends on that.

Data:

Days Hiking: 12
Miles Hiked Today: 15.6
Elevation Gained Today: 3340
Total Miles: 125.6

No comments:

Post a Comment